31 May 2008

Natwarlal Jones


Mr Natwarlal and Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom seem so very similar to me. Besides being great entertainers, the basic premise of the story is the same. I have seen both of them more than 5 times and never got bored. They have both had lots of action, funny scenes and great music... plus, they were both block busters. I remember that both had a re-run at the theaters in Mumbai a good 5 years after their respective releases. Mr Natwarlal could have been made into a comic and his adventures could have continued if it had been a Hollywood product, I believe.
  • Both Natwar and Indiana land up in a village in North India
  • Both of them wear khakhi coloured clothes for most part of the movie
  • Both of them are heralded by the village folk as saviors according to a prophecy
  • Both of them eventually end up defeating a villain involved in diamonds
  • Both of them escape from the captivity of the villain
  • Both the movies have popular soundtracks
  • Both the movies involved children and many animals
  • Both of them have a strong reference to Indian Gods (Krishn and Shankar/ Sankara)
Amitabh's rendition of 'Mere paas aao' was probably one of his first songs as a playback singer. The outdoor locales of Indiana Jones are actually Sri Lanka because the Indian government had demanded some changes in the scripts.

I wonder what I would watch if the 2 of them were telecasted at the same time on different channels. I think, I would go for Mr Natwarlal. :)

No comments: