24 Dec 2007

Christmas Leftover

It could be some kid's savings over the year or it could be a poor mother's present to her child. Who knows? But there must be a way to know.

I was already loaded with a lot of bags on my way home. The Christmas frenzy and the cold chill and the need to visit the toilet was all adding to the sense of urgency to reach home. The bus was empty. No one other than the driver and me. When I got up for the last stop, I made sure that I picked up all the bags that were with me. I had realised that there was a bag which was different. It wasn't mine. Did not know if it should be picked up or not. Now, I feel that I should have left it for the authorities.

When I came home, I found that the mystery bag had a camera in it. The enclosed bill proved that it was quite expensive. The cash payment meant that the owner cannot be traced via the credit card information from the store. The transportation website was discouraging enough in the lost and found department. There was an instant loss of ideas of what to do next. I just made a few inquiries with friends and they suggested that the package should be considered Santa's gift or that the package is asking for a post on eBay.

It would be difficult for me to trace the owner, but it should be so easy if the transport system can help. There are CCTV cameras in all the buses. All they have to is check who was sitting on that seat before me. Then determine where that person got into the bus. Then just find out his personal details from the transport card that the person swiped at the entry. Of course, all this would fall apart if that person's details were incorrect or not available in the records at all. However, if the owner were to do the same for tracing me, he would certainly be united with his package.

Until then, the packet stays with me safe.

No comments: